Negotiation Skills Expertise
Fergus Graham – Partner
Fergus has been in roles throughout his 25-year career that have demanded high quality negotiating skills. He has sold to clients on every continent, across multiple industries including Government, Financial Services, Retail Software, Oil & Gas and Renewable Energy, in both manufacturing and services, and across all stages of the supply chain. From simple to highly complex negotiations, including Mergers & Acquisitions in Europe, Asia, The Americas and Africa at valuations, Fergus has been fortunate to experience just about every possible type of negotiating challenge.
He also learned negotiating early in life, being brought up in places where the price was never what was on the label. He was also part of a big family and worked out quickly how to find a win-win.
Trained in Negotiation Consulting and Business Management
Fergus is an alumnus of TableForce and has seen first-hand how effective the training is in both his career and personal life. 15 years since attending the first workshop he says: “It remains the most valuable training I have received in terms of using it in the real world, and its success can be measured”. He has been a sales executive, a sales manager, a global sales director, managing director of a range of companies from $10m – $300m and a Board Director of a public company. His academic training includes:
- MA (Hons) Degree in Modern Languages, St. Andrews University, Scotland
- International Executive Programme, Diploma, INSEAD Business School, Fontainebleau, France & Singapore
- International Director Programme, Diploma, INSEAD Business School, Fontainebleau, France & San Francisco, USA
- Professional training courses: Miller Heimann Strategic Selling, Managing Distributors & VARs, Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
Negotiation Career Highlights
The extensive range of roles and situations that Fergus has encountered has enabled him to not only refine his negotiating skills and take the lessons from each outcome, but also to coach his team and colleagues to continually raise the bar, to not give away value and to have confidence while always building the long term relationships with clients and stakeholders.
- James Fisher & Sons Plc, UK – Executive Director responsible for the Marine Support Division. Led the successful negotiation, completion and integration of three strategic acquisitions.
- Cardtronics Plc, USA – Business Development Director responsible for organic and acquisitive growth in EMEA. Completed an acquisition from first contact through to successful completion. It also included starting from square one in new countries and negotiating contracts from a start-up position.
- De La Rue Plc, UK – a range of sales and leadership roles, negotiating multi-year contracts with global blue chip clients and governments in Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, as well as key supplier agreements when leading manufacturing businesses.
Family and Interests
Fergus is a self-proclaimed sports enthusiast who will try anything, but these days it mostly involves cycling, golfing, running and skiing. A lover of nature, he is doing more and more to protect the planet, in all aspects of his life. He dreams of being an expert guitar player and loves spending time with his family, mainly trying to keep up with his two sons.